ANST - Awards and such

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Apr 15 08:42:05 PDT 1998

> motley sash

No, Motley Shash.  Two "h"s.  From the Sept. 1993 Laurel
Letter of Acceptances and Returns:

Ansteorra, Kingdom of. Name for the Order of the Motley
Shash of Ansteorra.

     This was submitted as Motley Sash. Sash is out of
     period, even beyond our 50-year "grey area" -- both in
     its spelling and in its intended meaning of "scarf,
     bandoleer". The period term would be shash, and it
     referred in period to a turban, or the material of a
     turban. We've used it here, as being closest to the
     submitted form (though with an entirely different
     meaning, we concede).

Daniel "Someday, a Crown is gonna ask the heralds to
research an award name and badge *before* they create it ...
and it'll lay my ass out stone-cold *dead* from shock" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.