ANST - Merkin?

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 15 22:32:35 PDT 1998

Pug Bainter wrote:
> Okay, recently we found out what a merkin is. I'd like to know *why*.
> Anyone know? Gio? (Since you seemed to know the most about them.)

Hmmm...haven't caught the original reference from Daniel, but I had hoped that we
killed this the last time.  But, since Pug has been stewing over this question for
months, I'll so my best to answer.

[hide the children]

Apparently, it was the custom of whorehouses in the red-light districts outside of
Paris in the 17th or 18th or 19th century (don't ask for better than that, this is
off the top of my head), to be regularly inspected by the city government to make
sure that they were clean.  It was thought that having the women shave their
genitals it would cut down on the spread of venereal diseases, but I guess it
wasn't popular with the clients.  So, the ladies would wear a merkin while at
work.  (Which probably was worse, who knows who often such a thing was washed.)

That's the story I know...I think there is a documentable source for something
like that in a book that Baroness Mari has, which, I can't recall the name of.
Gunnora might be able to help...it was something like "Thieves, beggars and
whores:  exposing the seedier side of history"

Take all this with a huge pinch of salt...I've probably gotten it all wrong.
*grin*

Gio,
(and if I've become the resident expert on female prostitutes and their behavior,
something is seriously out of whack in this world.  :)