ANST - Re: TMT - we NEED a new site!

Alan J. Boertjens a-boertjens1 at ti.com
Tue Apr 28 07:28:58 PDT 1998

I have spent a few years (~13) in the SCA and have been to many events
at Camp Wewa.  My first SCA event was at Camp Wewa.  I haven't been
an autocrat for a large event before, but have been for several
smaller events.  I understand that dealing with the site owners is
usually the biggest headache for planning an event.

The uncertainty involved in dealing with sites like Wewa is
undermining the successfullness(sp) of SCA events in the long run.

Given our group, and our "eccentricities", having events at "dry"
sites just will not fly.  e.g. No brewing/vintning category at a
Kingdom Art/Sci event is ridiculous.  To put in business terms, these
sites obviously do not understand the needs of their "customers".
We should not give them our business.  They should not make money
off of us with their absolutely horrific "customer relations" policy.

We need to get out from under the boot of these site owners,
so...

It has been many years since the Trimarian land fund was established.
What is its current status.
What amounts are in the fund.
What amounts are needed to purchase a site capable of holding
   Kingdom-sized events (with adequate parking).
What can be done to expedite activities for it to reach its goals of
   having a permanent SCA site which is owned and operated by Trimaris.

I'm forwarding this message to the Ansteorran listserv as well,
because I currently live in Ansteorra and it seems that similar
problems exist in this Kingdom as well.

~Ld.Johan Bjornsson
 House Asgard
 Man-at-Arms to Duke Sir Baldar Langstriter
 Minister of Arts and Sciences for the Incipient Canton of Glaslyn
 (a canton of the Barony of the Steppes, of the Kingdom of Ansteorra)