ANST - sites and misuse of hospitality ...

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Tue Apr 28 13:32:53 PDT 1998

(SNIP)
/> just slapping down a site fee should never be considered a
/> carte-blanche to mis-use the basic tenants of hospitality.   and one
/> of those basics is respect the wishes of your hosts.
/>
/> 'wolf
/
Having helped with clean up for a number of events...lots of people
don't event treat the host groups with the basic tenents of
being a guest...they throw cigarette buts and assorted trash
around and expect that no matter how belligerent or drunk they
get that everyone else has to put up with it...

/That's exactly why we need to get out from under non-SCA-owned
/sites.  Scarborough Faire has a permanent site.  Hawkwood has a
/permanent site.

These are both FOR-PROFIT ventures...the funding for these is a lot
different than a NOT-FOR-PROFIT group with no steady income...

/  Why can't we get a site for our own?
/
/The SCA in this area has been around longer than either of these
/organizations and we can't get our 'stuff' together and just do it.
/I know we can't have a site by next year, but everyone seems to be so
/against the idea that no one here has started a fund as a contingency
/for the future.

Don't know who you have been talking to but this subject has been
discussed long and hard...it has just not had the people to
devote their time to it to make it happen.

/  If a land fund is not started now, we will NOT have
/a chance for a permanent site in the future, and more and more sites
/will be unsuitable for holding events at.  Consider it like a lottery
/ticket, if you don't purchase at least one ticket you won't win at all.

Looks like you're the one to start the fundraising!
Talk to the Kingdom Seneschal and find out what things you will need
to get started (like a seperate 501.c.3 organization) and what you
can and cannot do "in the SCA's name".

/"Opinion warning!!!":
/It's my opinion that if the various kingdoms of the SCA do not get
/permanent sites, the SCA as we now know it, will die!  It already has
/mutated significantly since I started playing 13 years ago.
/I do not want to see this happen, let's all try to save what we have!

Every thing mutates...it is the nature of time..."you can't go home"
What specifically are you addressing???

/
/
/Just to stir the hornet's nest about a bit, here goes...
/
/The point was made that Ansteorra was too big geographically
/to have one permanent site that could be accessible for everyone.
/Hmm....what better reason for becoming a principality and eventually
/a separate kingdom.
/
/~Ld.Johan Bjornsson
/ (Alan Boertjens)