ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

Pat St. Jean psj at cgmlarson.com
Thu Apr 30 09:13:33 PDT 1998

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Alan J. Boertjens wrote:
>The banning of alcohol at events is being driven by the site owners,
>YMCA and Boy Scouts, who are in the back pocket of the Christian
>right!

OK, now this is bugging me.  I've taken all I can and I'm not going to
take any more.

I'm a member of that Christian right that you and others so
contemptuously refer to, and let me assure you that I and my church have
no intention of banning alcohol.  We use it every Sunday.  I brew my own
beer.  You're generalizing way too far.

You don't like what's going on, quit complaining and do something.  Speak
with your pocketbook.  Take your event and the revenues it generates for
the landowner somewhere else.  And be sure to let them know WHY you are
doing that.

On the other hand, if you REALLY can't handle spending a weekend without
alchohol, you need to talk to someone.  Try AA.

It's time to learn some tolerance.  Something that I see is sadly lacking
in our world today, and in our society as well.  I'm ashamed to have to
post this, and will probably unsubscribe when I get home.  It's things
like this that have made me MUCH less active in the society than I used to
be.

>Being Christian organizations, they have deep pockets and steady revenue
>sources...they can afford to buy the campsites and thus impose their
>will upon groups such as ours.

Yeah, whatever.  In all the events I've been to in dry counties/sites in
TWO Kingdoms, the site owners have ALWAYS been flexible enough to allow
brewing/vinting competitions, because it was explained to them that this
was NOT going to be a drunken party.  I think you'll find that MOST people
are flexible enough to understand that.  And the ones that aren't won't
change their minds, so forget about them.

>Its plain and simple, we need to get out from under their influence.

Yes, we do.  Goodbye.

Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj at cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115
Larson Software Technology                        http://www.cgmlarson.com