ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

AuroraeB AuroraeB at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 10:28:00 PDT 1998

<< I'm a member of that Christian right that you and others so
 contemptuously refer to, and let me assure you that I and my church have
 no intention of banning alcohol.  We use it every Sunday.  I brew my own
 beer.  You're generalizing way too far.

I know!

Being raised Catholic, and "Old-World" Bohemian/Czech Catholic at that, I find
the insinuation that Christians ban alcohol to be quite amusing.  In my
Father's family, there were 3 food groups: Sausage, BEER, and Kolaches.  Even
on Sunday.  (Any wonder why Shiner Brewery was built in a
Czech/Bohemian/German settled town?) And that ethnic group of people is
probably one of the most devout group of Catholics I have seen in my lifetime.

And, have you ever been to a Catholic church fundraising bazzar?  They have
"Wheel of Fortune" games.  At times, spinning the wheel for various bottles of
liquor and wine.  Imagine that!  Christians, GAMBLING for ALCOHOL!  ;-)

And, if you need further proof, try hanging around the Black Lab pub on
Montrose.  You can almost always find at least one of the Catholic priests who
are professors at the University of St. Thomas hoisting a few after classes.
(I know, I have joined them before)  The priests are lucky enough to have a
private wine cellar in their residence. (or so the campus scuttlebutt says)
And, until not too long ago, there was an actual BAR in the U of St. Thomas
student center. (Now, only a coffee bar..... :-(     )

Generalizations mean little.  I know that there are certain Christian sects
that ban alcohol.  But, MANY do not.  So, it is ludicrious to connect the fact
that alcohol is banned at Boy Scout camps to the fact that Christians don't
drink.

Tracy