ANST - Re: we NEED a new site!

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Thu Apr 30 04:58:35 PDT 1998

James Crouchet wrote:

> Someone pointed out that location would be a big issue. I suggest
> that the first site should be in the Central region as it is, well,
> central. But as a kingdom we would have to agree to continue to work
> toward acquiring sites until every region had one.

As a current denizen of Central, this makes particular sense to me...

> Some questions:
> How many people attend our events annually?

Officially or unofficially? Serious question, really! How manypassers-by or
non-paying members drop by sites which are
more accessible / closer-in for five minutes or more, and
how should they be counted in the total?

> How big are our big events (# of people)?

Steppes Warlord has officially been above 500 attendees forat least the last
five years or so. Steppes 12th Night was 500+
in its most recent incarnation, and has been well above 300 for
many years as well. (Central location and various other factors
work to keep these two events very large.)

A few of the other truly large events have been described to
me as having more than 300 "official" attendees. I've been at
some of them. Anecdotally, I suspect that 200-300 is becoming
more common than not for most of the "established" events
held by baronies, and very few events will draw less than 100
unless there is a major conflict between nearby alternatives.

> How big is the Steppes Warlord site? Gulf War?

Steppes Warlord site at Canton First Monday Trade Daysis difficult to judge for
size in that we are still using only a
relatively small fraction of the total site -- AND there are
significant areas of the overall site that are not currently
included in our rental of the place... (Essentially, we are
renting only the parts owned by the City of Canton, TX.)

That said, I believe that we used last year approximately
200 acres out of 500+, plus-or-minus 50% (I've never
been really good at estimating land area).
--
For "official" purposes: Mike C. Baker
For "fun": Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (SCA)
e-mail: kihe at rocketmail.com, kihe at ticnet.com