ANST - More from the Chemical De-peanut Gallery

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 30 14:31:46 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns

Lyonel aisai

Theudegisklos quotes Prince Barn's response to:

>> >Drinking at events is a long-standing tradition.
>> Yes, drinking at events is a long-standing accepted practice, though I
>> wouldn't call it a tradition.

And replies:

>Speak for yourself, Your Stellarity.
>
>:P

Uh, he *was* speaking for himself.  That's what the "I wouldn't" phrase
means, that he's stating an opinion.

I, on the other hand, am going to be quite pedantic and speak for a larger
community of English speakers:  drinking at SCA events is a *practice*, not
(in the principal use of the term) a *tradition*.  Folks who drink at
events do so for personal comfort and pleasure, not in order to fulfill
customary obligations.  Anyone who says to her/himself, "I'm going to have
a beer because it's my duty to the society to uphold this fine tradition,"
is in desperate need of intervention.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace