ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Thu Apr 30 22:49:56 PDT 1998

I tried twice to send this privately, but for some reason it fails, so
let me post it here.

----Mayne

From: MAYNEDELACROIX
To: BSilveraxe at aol.com
Subject: Re: ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:38:58

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:40:01 EDT BSilveraxe <BSilveraxe at aol.com> writes:

>Even years ago, I never discriminated between "wet sites" and "dry
>sites" when deciding what events to attend.  Spending time with my
friends at
>tournaments was just too much fun to give it all up because I couldn't
have a beer
>or two (or 3 or 12 or whatever).  I disagree that if we can't drink at
>certain events(in deference to mundane site rules) that the SCA will die
a slow,
>miserable death.  On the contrary, I think there are more than enough of
us who
>are here for this game, rather than just the party.  I sure would hate
for my
>friends to tell me I shouldn't attend an event because I *don't* drink.

>On a side-note, I *do* get a little upset when I have to pay $3.50 for
>a coke when we can't bring drinks onto a site because of the wet-bar
that was
>required by the site owners in order to allow alcohol.
>

>People find the SCA and play because it meets some need in their life.
>However, without people working to meet the needs of the SCA, nothing
>that goes on at an event could happen.  It is through people working to
>fulfill the SCA's needs (for feastocrats, servers, heralds, marshals,
autocrats,
>etc.) that events can be fun for those who are not working. For those
who
>serve, what they do is personally fulfilling.  The same is true for Arts
&
>Sciences: people work to present their arts (bardic, dance, music,
costuming,
>brewing, etc.) because it meets a personal need of theirs.  Fortunately
for the
>rest of us (who like to learn to dance, or just listen to music) it also
meets
>the needs of the SCA.
>I guess my point is this: without people meeting the SCA's needs, the
>personal needs of those who play would not be met.
>
>Plain and simple, what we do is about much more than just partying.
>
>Just my opinion...
>
>HRH Barn

I don't know you, probably will never meet you, but if this post was any
indication of your personality and honor, I stand ready to lend my
service free of charge during your reign.

Mayne de la Croix --- The original MiB (Merc in Black)
Gate's Edge Canton, Barony of  Stargate,  Ansteorra