ANST - Warning for Chainmail crafters(Galvanized Metals)

Michelle Vernon-Cole mikaela at sonetcom.com
Tue Dec 8 05:26:05 PST 1998

I am a welder by trade, and for the past 13-14 years worked as a
salesman\field rep. for a major welding supply co. here in S.W.
Oklahoma........For the past year and some months I have worked as a Maint.
tech.\welder for the city that I live in.......I think it safe to say that I
have had at least some experience in dealing with the many FORMS of
galvanized PLATED steels...... I don't claim to be any expert.....my word is
not law .... dont put your life on the line "cuz duke mikael said I
could!!!" ........ however the zinc application protecting carbon metals
from rust has been around longer than many of our grand-parents have been
alive !!! it is nothing new !! It is a process in which, through chemical
preparation metal is "etched"then through extreme heat , Zinc is applied and
rapidly cooled... to form a "platting" that moisture has no affect
on....Zinc IS a heavy metal ...like arsenic.......  it can build up in your
system..... BUT AS I SAID !!!!!  it requires extreme heat to impact the
galvanization ....... I have seen some products from some third world
countries that the process was not done correctly ....and "LOOSE" zinc was a
problem........ but the problem " FOR ME HAS ALWAYS BEEN THROUGH
BREATHING".....use your head ... be smart and you should not have any
problems..watch how you grind , heat , bend ( if you buy cheap product) ,
and work with any galvanized metals !!!!  By the way ..... at work I just
finished making up 154 units that went under corroded hand rails around an
aeration pit at a waste water plant, that was all made out of galvanized
steel............ I cut on it ... grind on it ........welded it up .........
sorry, no problem here !!! like anything   ....    use your head .. its
really the only thing you should reliy on ....... and read about what it is
you do ........ I dont care what you say or cry about ..... if you aint done
YOUR homework .... then you aint right !!!!

any questions???? I'll answer what I can ........ Mikael (thru his wifes

e-mail account)