Fw: ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:57:16 PST 1998

Heilsa all good Ansteorran Archers and Armored Fighters...

Sir Kief here...

I know that I'm responding to a thread that is somewhat old, as well I
haven't read all the replies to the thread yet... Still, I have a
comment or two on what's being discussed.

Tomonaga states and then opines:
>Namu Yamato damashi - banzai!
>
>Well spoken.  Battle is battle, not dancing.  Any who arm themselves
and
>go onto the field knew the job was dangerous when they took it.
>
>However, I know other people have different views.  The risk a person
is
>willing take is strictly an individual decision, and if a person
chooses
>to try to reduce or eliminate the chance of being hit, that's fine.

This is true. You signed the waiver, you takes your lumps....

>Going by the rules (as I undestand them):  White diamonds on an
archer's
>helm means the archer is non-contact (not non-combatant) and is not
>supposed to be struck.  Heavy fighters MUST use only touch-kill
>techniques with them.

As I understand it "White Diamonds are NON-CONTACT" (Note the caps?)
Non-contact means just that, DO NOT TOUCH!

If any fighters has a problem with _any_ combatant on the field, go get
a marshal and discuss the situation with them and the "offending"
combatant...

Any you White Diamond folk out there... Don't puch your luck and play
games with "range" and "engaged" I certainly won't listen to many of
those before I lose my patience....

>Archers without such markings are fair game and
>are liable to be clobbered just as if they were sword-and-board
>fighters.  The 10-foot-death-range thing is not a rule.  It is a widely
>accepted convention, but it is not required.

Hmmmm...perhaps I'm wrong, but I think that it's a rule... Let's treat
it as one.

It is the *archer's*
>choice whether or not to yield if a heavy fighter just gets close
enough
>- he is perfectly within his rights to run and try to get far enough
>away to get back into action.

True, it's the Archers choice... However, do you archers _really_ want a
250 lbs crazed Barbarian chasing you with a 7 1/2 foot unpadded
glave...??! Remember, if you see him coming and you run, as long as he
remains "in weapons range" you are _Fair Game"_... Now personally I
would not want to risk getting clobbered in the side or back of the Helm
as I turned to "escape"...

>Acting more charitably than the rules require is a noble thing, and
>using touch-kill techniques on archers is highly commendable.  Most
>archers, including me, will accept it because they realize the attack
>could have been made full-force, and we'd rather be tapped out than
>broken.  Even though I equip myself so I can switch to heavy weapons, I
>will accept a touch-kill attack if I am caught with bow in hand.

Another point to remember... If an Archer, or any other fighter, is sans
hand protection... THEY ARE NOT PROPERLY ARMORED. Therefore, an un-safe
situation exists and a "Hold" needs to be called......

Folks, BE CONSIDERATE of your opponents... None of us need any broken
hands, wrists, or fingers....

But,
>heavy fighters are within their rights to go loaded for bear against
>archers who are not marked for non-contact.  In the final analysis,
>archers without white diamonds must look to their own safety.

Nope...! They can only "go loaded for bear" if and only if the Archer
has a Secondary Weapon _in their hands_ and if those hands are not
armored or in basket-hilts then the Archer is NOT A LEGAL TARGET.

ARCHERS...don't "take advantage" of the rules to get out of "sticky
situations"... If every one "plays nice" all will be well and quite
happy to share that cold ale or hot cider together at the end of the
day....

>      Tomonaga

Waes Thu Hael kinfolk....
Sir Kief...(Incoming Earl Marshal as of Coronation)

"Better the Hammer than the nail..."