ANST - planning calendar year zero

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Mon Feb 2 16:03:14 PST 1998

On  2 Feb 98 at 19:56, P. Crandall Polk wrote:

> The year numbering scheme that was developed around A.D. 300 was
> worked out by a Roman fellow whose name just dropped out of my head.
> (brain fart!)

"Julian" dates perhaps ????  (g)

> Or my college math instructor was wrong.

POV:

was always taught that the cartesian system origionated at zero ... a
person is born and a year later celebrates their "first" birthday
(birthday "one"), thus their birthdate was "zero", thus since
by custom we measure our mundane secular/religious calander by a
mythic / semi-historical  figures b'day, then that b'day would be
year zero, hence the millenium happens 1999:23:59:59.. +
0000:00:00:01..

'wolf

... in diversity there is strength