ANST - New Millenium

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Feb 3 06:32:13 PST 1998

Talen von Marienburg wrote:

> Well, I'm not a theologian, but I believe most Christian Theologians
> postulate Christ was born between four and seven years before what we call 1
> A.D.
>
> So actually, we may already be in the millenium :-)
>
> Something to think about, nicht?
>
> Talen

It's not an issue of theology.  We use the Gregorian Calendar,
with all its faults (including wrong start date and leap
years).  By that calendar, accepted by virtually the entire
world, we won't have completed 20 centuries until the end
of the year 2000.

j'lynn yeates wrote:
> was always taught that the cartesian system origionated at zero ... a
> person is born and a year later celebrates their "first" birthday
> (birthday "one"), thus their birthdate was "zero", thus since
> by custom we measure our mundane secular/religious calander by a
> mythic / semi-historical  figures b'day, then that b'day would be
> year zero, hence the millenium happens 1999:23:59:59.. +
> 0000:00:00:01..
>
> 'wolf

Nice try.  One year after your birth, you are one year old.  Twenty
centuries after the start of the Gregorian Calendar, we're ready to
start into the year 2001.

By all means, celebrate the year 2000 with a big party.  I know we
all like those zeros.  Celebrate the achievement of having made it
to the final year of the 20th century, which so many of us were
taught we'd never live to see due to nuclear or environmental
holocaust.  But don't mistake it for the start of the new
millenium.

- Galen