ANST - animals

margiejr margiejr at sprintmail.com
Thu Feb 12 23:11:43 PST 1998

<snipage>
>Let me add another problem.
>
>4. unsocialized animals.
>
>IMO, an animal brought to an event needs to be properly socialized to
>large groups of people BEFORE the event. I have seen (dogs mainly here)
>who have obviously never been exposed to so much activity and strange
>people thrust right in the middle of a crowd during the list. I've
>overheard owners mention "this is Spike's trial run, we don't know if he
>can handle all this". And I've seen dogs snap, growl, and lunge at
>strangers. All at events. Unfortunately, even leashed animals can bite
>when over agitated.

I found a solution to geting dogs used to the noise and excitment of an
event is taking them to fighter practice were they can be around people and
hear the diffrent noises, see there owners interacing with strangers and to
let the animal get used to being petted by the stangers in funny cloths. My
chrystal has turned out verry loveable and freindly towards SCA folks. she
is freindly with those in garb, those who come into my house, officers and
normaly only barks when there is a problem and she loves it when children
play with her.

why were on the subjet of pets and events. if a site is NO PET please make
sure it is in the anouncement for the event, I get real mad when I take my
animal to an event and get there after driving several hours to be informed
that they are not allowed, when nowere in the anouncement was it ever
mentioned NO pets. please rember that some of us that like to take our
animals with us may not live in your area so if it;s not in the flyier we
may not know about it. I learned my lesson and nowe call ahead but it is
still a pet peave.  I also get iritated when I can't take her because she is
a trained emergancy do for me should I be camping and get hurt she is
trained to find help for me because of my back , but because it;s my back
and not my eyes I;m told I can;'t have her with me even though she is a
trained Assit dog..it's just one of my pet peaves..I'm rambling so I'm gonna
shut up now

Simone