ANST - Court Baron/ess and fealty

joelight joelight at lx.net
Mon Feb 16 07:59:20 PST 1998

Galen wrote:
>I believe that one of my most important functions as a
>viscount is to try to be noble.  Try to put on a little
>bit of show, make opportunities for others to have fun,
>be a lesser center for people who want their games to
>include some sort of ruler.  Most importantly, though,
>I try to recognize what's going on around me.  I try to
>catch people who are engaged in "endeavors of worth"
>and tell them how glad I am that they're doing what
>they're doing.  I try to find the courage within myself
>to criticize people who are doing wrong.  I try to provide
>an example of the virtues I think are important in the SCA:
>courtesy, service and authenticity.  I try to teach people
>what I know, and help them develop according to their
>aspirations.  I try to do as little harm as I can manage.
>Over the years, you'd be amazed how much impact you can have.
>
>This is what is behind my registered motto, "noblesse
>oblige", which translates as "noble obligation".  I
>believe that nobles and people of rank in the SCA have
>an obligation to "pay" for their perks by providing
>this sort of service.  Bors, it's not so different
>from what you did as a landed baron.
>
>- Galen of Bristol, 8th Viscount von Drachenwald

I agree.  I also think it is important to remember that the two things most
people want most is to feel connected and significant in some manner.
Especially for newcomers to the group.  It then becomes our duty as more
mature members to help them find ways to be connected.  If our newcomers
feel an ownership of the Society, then we will raise new generations who can
be proud to turn our leadership over to as the time comes.

Ulrica