ANST - You know what's coming

E.Preston III & Shelly K. Walker wf3 at icok.net
Wed Feb 18 06:24:45 PST 1998

Well, seems everyone has an opinion...so she jumps into the fray....

Keith Hood wrote:

> First, I'll admit that I've seen enough comments to convince me that a
> 2-year tenure is not a valid solution.  But I still contest some other
> things.  (If it's so horrible, why do so many people want it?)

Who is wanting that? I've heard talk of one year, but only you
mentioning the two year thing.

>(more snip) People do tend to try to influence each other to maintain group
> loyalties.  Introducing more boundaries would tend to polarize people
> even more.

I'm not seeing the problem here. Basically, living in the north, it's
going to take a lot for me to travel to Houston for a weekend event. I
just don't do it. If there was less need or expectation for me to travel
there, I'd be happier.

>(snips) If the effect of wearing the crown is comparable to combat fatigue, then
> there is something really bad wrong here that goes way beyond the
> principality issue.

Trying to travel every weekend, visiting as many places and groups as
possible, I'd be fatigued too. However, it is not as if contenders don't
know this going into the crown tourney. I'm not saying it couldn't be
better, but I don't see it as to stressful. How do we compare to other
kingdoms? If the truth be told, I wouldn't vote for a principality to
make it easier on the crown, I'd vote to make it easier on me and my
region.

>(snip again) I have read that the principalities would still be a part of Ansteorra,
> that they would be a kind of a regional managment level for the crown,
> and that would solve many problems.  Back to the inconsistencies again:
> If the principalities are part of Ansteorra, then they have not split
> from the parent group, and if they have not then where are the alleged
> growth opportunies?  Are they going to grow by overlapping into each
> others' territories?

The idea would be to eventually become a kingdom of their own. Not take
over someone else's territory. Growth does not have to mean eating
ground. I would expect growth to mean larger attendance at events. I'm
sure you've seen occasions of at least three events occuring on the same
weekend in the kingdom. Usually, this results in one of these groups
suffering attendance because "all the fighters went to that one" or
something similar.
This is one of my main reasons for a northern pricipality. Closer
events, less travel. Then I might manage to gather the money to someday
go to Pennsic.
Britta the Red