ANST - Principality questions

Thu Feb 19 11:51:27 PST 1998

> OK.  I keep reading (and reading and reading) in the hopes that I
> will stumble across answers to the questions that I have, but nobody
> else seems to have brought them up, so, here goes...
>
> If a region becomes a principality, do groups in that area still get
> to bid to host Kingdom events (like Crown Tourney, Kingdom Warlord,
> etc.?) - or do those in the principality just have to resign
> themselves to traveling outside the principality in order to fight in
> the Kingdom's Crown Tournament, or compete in Kingdom Eistedfodd,
> etc.?

Kingdom events may be bid on by any group in the Kingdom, including those in
a Principality.  Principality events may be bid on by any group in the
principality.

> Also, several years back there was much concern voiced from many of
> the peers in my region about how hard it was to get their circles to
> recognize candidates for peerage unless the candidate travelled at
> least as far south as Steppes (but more often to Stargate or further)
> in order to be seen.  I think the problem seems to be getting better,
> but how would an outlying principality fare?

The problem of recognition is the same with or without principalities.
However, the Prince and Princess could invite reknowned peers of other
Principalities to teach and officiate at Principality events, so that the
word fame of the worthy people might spread with less travel.  What you do
not want is isolation.

> For example: You have a lady who is an absolutely brilliant
> embroiderer, costumer and bard.  What if most of the Laurels in her
> region want her elevated to peerage.  What if the Prince and
> Princess agree.  What if the Laurels outside the principality don't
> know her or her work and aren't sure she is their peer.  How would
> this most likely be handled?
>
> I could think of equivalent examples for the other two peerages, but
> I think this one gets the point across....

The Crown makes peers.  The Crown can decide whether they will raise a peer
based on the recommendation of the royalty and peerage of a principality or
whether they will seek further recommendation beyond the principalities
borders.

> If what I've heard is true, that Prince & Princess don't make peers,
> do they attend peer circles?  (I wouldn't think so, but I don't
> know).
>
> These really aren't all of my questions, but they are the questions
> that *I* am often asked, so I thought I'd see if anyone could tell me
> based on experience or whatever rules there might be out there
> somewhere.....
>
> Thanks!
> Kat
>
> **********
> Katrionna MacLochlainn
> Barony of Wiesenfeuer
> Lori Campbell
> lcampbel at ossm.edu

The Prince and Princess represent the Principality.  The peers of a
Principality serve that Principality.  Their Highnesses should seek the
counsel of the peers and the peers should seek the ear of Their Highnesses.
In that manner, nobility and royalty can stand united to represent their
Principality in the view of the Kingdom.

Bear