ANST - P-word

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 20 20:32:12 PST 1998

Talen von Marienburg wrote:

> Though I understand and somewhat agree, there are problems with doing it
> this way.  The main thing with this as I have seen it is that the local
> group ends up sending award recommendations to be given at someone else's
> event, and different styles of tournaments aren't "experimented" with.  And
> pray that the crown makes it up this decade.
>

> Talen
> ---------

I can sympathize with this but if you give it a moments thought, my
original idea wouldn't have that much impact on the crown giving out
awards in any particular group.  The crown is still going to be going to
only one (at most two, if they split up) events per weekend.  This won't
change whether there are five events a weekend, or only two, the number
of royalty to visit groups on any weekend doesn't change. And to use
your example of Mooneschadowe, if you drop back from two events a year
to only one, will it really effect how often the crown shows up at your
group?  How often does the Crown come to both of your events in one
year?  If they only come once a year (a mere dream for some groups) does
it really matter whether you have a second calendar event that year?
Matter only in the sense of having the Crown give out awards, that is.
The only way it _does_ matter is if the Crown reads the awards into
Court elsewhere and has some local nobility hold court at your event to
give out the awards for them.

But as I said, it is only a pipedream and not meant as a serious
proposal.  It is in reaction to something I have seen time and time
again.  A group, (large or small, I've seen this in both) looks up and
says, "Oh, has a year passed already?  Guess we better hold our
Protector of the Golden Dog Bone Tournament.  Somebody run out and get a
site, uh, guess we better have a list, anybody know where the list ropes
are? Write up something for the Blackstar next month and we will hold it
soon as we can get a date." If you ask them what their motivation for
having an event is they say it is "tradition" and "we must have a
protector of the Bone" (don't even think of questioning that). At the
end of it all, I see an exhausted work crew and a group of
participantswho would have been just as happy to have been at their
fighter practise.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not speaking ill of small events, or laid
back events, or anything like that.  What I am speaking of is events
held not for any overiding reason, or because anyone had a neat new
historical perspective to try out, or even because anyone particularly
wanted to hold an event.  But rather held because people have said, it
is "tradition", or because "we have to to keep our group status". I have
been to way to many of this type of event over the last few years, where
even the people running the thing didn't seem to have much interest in
it. I think events should be held because their is a group of people
enthusiastic about what they have to offer and eager to provide.  I just
want to change the attitude of many in the Kingdom that we "have" to
host an event, even if we don't particularly have a reason for one.

Graf Galen K.