ANST - Gulf War Archery Update

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri Feb 13 02:07:56 PST 1998

I spoke with Sir Karl (Ansteorra Earl Marshal) tonight and got the
current rundown on archery for Gulf War.

First, I will point out that that I say here is SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
That said, here is what I learned:

1. Fiberglass arrows are approved for longbows only. We are only
waiting for the corporate go ahead for crossbows and fiberglass, but
that probably will not come in time for us to get rules in place for
Gulf War, so plan on wood shafts for crossbows.

2. Baldar blunts are approved, but good luck getting any. Sir Baldar
just moved and is out of touch at present. Thistle and Marklands are
ok too.

3. Minimum range for a longbow or a crossbow will be 15 feet. Yes,
that is more than the usual 10 for longbow.

4. Archers can carry other projectile weapons (throwing axe, etc) but
they must be inspected and follow the rules for such.

5. Archers will be of two types.

a. Those wearing white diamonds on their helms may not be struck with
any weapons (except missile weapons) but they are killed if an armed
fighter gets within 10 feet. These folks must still wear full armor
and must be prepared to be struck as accidents do happen. Any fighter
striking a white diamond (that includes scouts and siege engine crew
too) on purpose will have to deal with Sir Karl (an angry Sir Karl
is NOT a pleasant thought).

b. ALL Those without white diamonds are touch kill. If an archer
wishes to switch to sword, spear, etc., he may do so, but he must
first put down ALL archery gear, including arrows, quiver, bow, etc.
If he is touched by an enemy before then, he is dead. After he has
switched he takes shots just like any other armored fighter.

6. No deliberate shooting from behind. OTOH, you can certainly shoot
over a wall, into a shield wall, etc.

7. To be a combat archer, you must be authorized for Armored Combat
AND Combat Archery. For the armored combat, see a knight or your
regional knight's marshal. Karl mostly wants the archers to know the
rules of the field so they don't do anything stupid and to have
proper armor; he does not expect us to have to show ability with
sword and board if we only plan to arch. For the archery
authorization, see your regional archery marshal.

8. Direct fire siege engines (i.e. ballista) will not be able to take
out fortifications in a couple of shots, and siege engine crews are a
minimum of 3 fighters (if you lose one you must stop fireing). If you
have 3 archers you might be more effective with bows. Indirect fire
weapons (catapult, trebuchet) will still be able to take out
fortifications, but it is much harder to hit with those, so don't
expect to see the castle doors crashed in the first 5 minutes this
time.

9. If you have any particular questions on archery at Gulf War, call
Karl der Gangr. His number is in your Black Star as the Earl Marshal
(inside, front cover). You will find your regional marshals
(armor and archery)listed in the back.

10. There is no rule against double nocking, however, remember this
uses up arrows fast and costs you range and accuracy. Good for volly
fire, though.

Hints - these are my suggestions, NOT rules:

1. For those of you using fiberglass shafts, you can buy strait
sided nocks that do not require the shaft to be tapered. The 1/4
inch shaft (slightly sanded) just slides right in. That saves a LOT
of work.

I just bought most of the stock (50) from Archery Country here in
Austin, so call them to see when they will get more before you go
over there. If you live in Houston or Dallas you should have no
problem finding these nocks. They are for graphite arrows, they are
NOT tapered inside and the size is 4/16ths or 1/4 inch. FS Archery
mail order had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them.

2. Remember, fiberglass shafts still have to be taped with fiber
tape. Use a strait line of tape along the shaft, NOT a spiral.

3. Due to the instability and the mass of the arrows we are using, I
recommend that you fletch with at least 5 inch feathers and use a
strait fletch. The spin of a ballistic fletch will not really help
much with our arrows, and it will cost you significant range.

4. I have found Duco cement is stronger and cheaper than Fletch
Tight, but otherwise similar. Buy it in tubes at Walmart (99 cents).
I use the plastic applicator off an old tube of Fletch Tight to apply
it.

5. You may also want an extra bow string. Be a shame to not be able to
fight because your string got messed up.

6. Be sure to put your name and the name of your kingdom and group on
your arrows, so you get them all back.

7. I will try to set up an authorization day here in Bryn Gwlad in the
next couple weeks. It's just according to who I can contact in time.
If I get this set up you will need full armor and archery equipment
ready to be inspected. Yes, I know arrows are still in production, but
finish a few and bring them. I will let you know as I know more.

Don Christian Dore