ANST - Q? - War Tabards

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Mon Feb 16 11:29:51 PST 1998

On 16 Feb 98, Scott Powers wrote:

> >I think the biggest problem would be finding folks who are willing to
> >armor up, have all the armor, and are willing to miss out on the
> >fighting. This with the understanding that they CAN still be shot
> >and might be struck with rattan by accident (battles are not safe
> >places to be).
> >
> >M. Christian Dore

[snip]

> If you really want to make people ache for the chance to be Standard
> Bearer, hold a tournament in which the only allowed weapon styles
> involve those skills neccessary for the job, such as sword in one
> hand and spear in the other, or hand-axe and glaive.  The winner
> gets to be the Standard Bearer.

Great idea. However, please do not take my comments out of context. I
was commenting specifically on the idea of having non-contact people
(white diamonds) carry the standard. I think it would be hard to find
people willing to buy armor and go on the field just for that.

Your idea, however, rocks. Full contact standard bearers, with a
tourney to decide to bearer? Cool! Somebody bend the king's ear on
this one ASAP! Maybe we can slip it into an event before Gulf!

Don Dore

PS - The most important point of my earlier message was to point out
that white diamond folks must be fully armored. No fencing masks,
hocky gloves, etc. Full legal armor EXCEPT archers may use partial
gauntlets so they can draw their bows.