ANST - Q? - War Tabards

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Mon Feb 16 09:59:46 PST 1998

>Great idea. However, please do not take my comments out of context. I
>was commenting specifically on the idea of having non-contact people
>(white diamonds) carry the standard. I think it would be hard to find
>people willing to buy armor and go on the field just for that.

I did not intend to.  In fact, I quite agree with you.  I used to fight
some years ago, but do not now.  In considering this question, I asked
myself, "Would I be willing to buy armor and submit to a beating just to
hold a flag?"  The honest answer was "No, I would not."  And neither, I
think, would many people.  So my suggestion was to get the fighters who
were going to be out there anyway to do it, and not worry about if they got
to fight or not.  Obviously, from the response I have already seen, there
would be no shortage of willing standard bearers, so there is no need to
worry about getting white diamonds for the job.

>Your idea, however, rocks. Full contact standard bearers, with a
>tourney to decide to bearer? Cool! Somebody bend the king's ear on
>this one ASAP! Maybe we can slip it into an event before Gulf!
>
>Don Dore

Thanks.  Sadly, I am not influential with the King.  Perhaps someone close
to His Majesty could suggest it.  Actually, one way to do this would be to
have a mini-tourney at Gulf Wars among the fighters that showed up early
enough to get in on it.  That would eliminate the need to schedule another
tourney before Gulf Wars (which would be just about impossible, since the
March Black Star is mostly printed and will be mailed in three days).

>PS - The most important point of my earlier message was to point out
>that white diamond folks must be fully armored. No fencing masks,
>hocky gloves, etc. Full legal armor EXCEPT archers may use partial
>gauntlets so they can draw their bows.

I was not aware of that when I posted my original message, but thank you
for bringing me up to speed.

Rumil