ANST - re: p-word: political considerations

Michael Peters shdwstel at telepath.com
Tue Feb 17 16:00:11 PST 1998

Keith Hood wrote:

> >From Tomonaga, with all due respect:
>
>         I will address your points one at a time, but first I want to note you
> did not dispute the main point of my missive--that all the problems
> supposedly caused by this kingdom's size can be solved without splitting
> it into principalities.  Dividing the kingdom is not the only answer,
> and I have yet heard no good reason for not trying lesser cures first.
>
> j'lynn yeates wrote:
> >
> > point of order, if i'm not mistaken term of tenure is defined by
> > Corpora and outside the scope of easy change (as it should be).  idea
> > had been proposed again and again over the years and always fly's
> > about as well as the proverbial lead balloon
> >

>         The fact that it may be difficult to do does not prove that it should
> not be done, and the fact remains that it would result in solving or at
> least relieving a lot of the problems currently being used as reasons
> for arguing in favor of principalities.
>         Why does it not fly?  Did someone actually *prove* it's a bad idea, or
> do people just not like the idea of trying to get the BOD to change
> something?
>

> > anyone who aspires to "royalty" status does so (hopefully) with a
> > clear understanding of the costs involved (time, stress, financial,
> > obligations, ....).  it's all there in the job description.

  I find myself disagreeing with Tomonaga. There appears to be this
belief that moves toward Principality are motivated by "those at the top
"of the pyrimid. The kingdom is flat too big. Often those who aspire to
higher position (I don't) will hear, well you do good work but you don't
travel enough. It is an 8 HOUR drive to Bjornsborg or Stargate from
Namron. There is too much going on. Look at a kingdom calender. An
average month has EIGHT events. How can our craftsmen create anything
when they are constantly traveling? Smaller groups develop stronger ties
are more enthusiastic and supportive.
   (just playing devil's advocate)  A problem with your 2 year royalty
scheme. What if the crown is someone you can't abide? Currently, if you
are unhappy about the situation you can take a six month break. People
who take two year breaks don't come back...they find other interests.
You might say (with reason) the crown has earned the position they
deserve our support. However, MANURE gets in the way (huMAN
natURE).People are people and will develop diferences and even (gasp)
dislikes. What if we have a bad crown? Six months of damage is
repairable, Two years probably not.
  You can play in other kingdoms if your friends are there. If you are
worried about annoying influential locals, you probably aren't playing
for fun. If you aren't having fun you are playing for the wrong reasons.

Yours,
Lord Mykaru Kurodachi
Nordsteorra