ANST - 14th century knights

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Wed Jan 7 15:23:55 PST 1998

Hello All,

AlmostSir Alexis mentioned.....

>> Speaking as someone who has just moved up 200 years or so (~1400-1425, I
>> prefer the later armor styles), I am curious as to what era most people
>> are choosing to center on.  It seems that there is a trend towards later
>> persona's.

        I don't know if its a trend, but I have been moving my persona
forward bit by bit over the past year. I started as a Byzantine, about 1200,
because of family backround and available documentation. As I've learned
more and researched a bit better, I find myself leaning to a later period
(1460), still Byzantine, but with a bit more "travel" under my belt. It's a
time when I can be "refugee-ing" from Constantinople to Florence, where I
like the garb *and* the armor, and it meshes nicely with my wife's
still-developing persona.
        Someone said it earlier, but ability to sew(and make other goods)
can be a big factor in the begining. What does your local group have for
loaner gear? I bet mostly T-tunics and baggy pants. Also, most Hospitalers
end up teaching basic garbmaking starting with.. you guessed it... the
T-tunic.  As for armor and appearance on the field, most loaner armor I've
seen is a cast off motley assortment, designed to let newcomers get to "try
it before you buy it". This is a good thing, as armor can be expensive and
some people decide they dont like bruises. The ones who *do* like the
fighting end up with...a cast off motley assortment of handmedowns and maybe
a new tabard to start with. It's enough to get them on the field and having
fun but tends to pigeonhole people into an earlier period.
        Now, my armor is crap, pure crap, but it has served me well and
taught me alot about what I *want* in armor.  So now that I have been around
for a couple years, and have developed some skills, I am working on a whole
new suit in a mid-15th Cent. style. As for sewing ability, well, I dont let
my children in the same room with me when I sew, because such language
should not be heard by young ones. :)

Timo
whoistryingtogetSirDietertobehispersonaltailor