ANST - Coronation

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Jan 12 16:19:31 PST 1998

Galen here!

Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Perronnelle wrote:
> > Alexis *will* be able to incorporate a horse into his ceremony.
>
> Um, there have been a couple of bad incidents I've heard of in the
> SCA using horses.  Duke Dag of the Middle tells about the
> coronation of, I think, David and Tangwystyl.  One rode in on
> a horse looking magnificent.  There was a stunned pause, and then
> the crowd went wild with cheering, applause, and hoots.
>
> The horse went wild, too.  At one point, Dag (doing duty at the
> edge of the crowd) was seeing that he was about to be stepped on
> by a rearing horse, and was convinced he was about to die.
>
> After another incident with a horse, the Middle pretty much decided
> not to use horses in attempting spiffy displays.
>
> I strongly suggest that people be very careful about noises
> around livestock at events, unless you're very sure about the
> situation (i.e., you *know* that it's a trained police horse).
> In general, I would not applaud.
>
> Daniel de Lincoln

I'm sure I won't be the only one to mention Kein & Alisha's
first Coronation, in Bryn Gwlad, when Alisha's horse, startled
by an airplane (the site was the Burnet Co. Fairgrounds, next
to the Burnet airport), rolled over on its back with the new
Queen still on it, causing a most awkward interruption of
the Coronation ceremony and no small discomfort to Alisha
herself.  She had to have help, but she shortly recovered
enough to walk (assisted) into her coronation, and sit
through ceremony and court.  As her herald on that occasion,
I was never prouder of her.  She refused to go to a hospital
until the next day.

At their 2nd Coronation, I got derisive laughter when I asked
about a horse, as well as when I warned Kein about that
hawk on his fist rolling over on him.

I'm sure Alexis will take all due precautions for his
knighting ceremony.

- Galen of Bristol

--
pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"The Constitution is a radical document ... it is the job