ANST - Coronation

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Jan 12 13:52:25 PST 1998

Perronnelle wrote:
> Alexis *will* be able to incorporate a horse into his ceremony.

Um, there have been a couple of bad incidents I've heard of in the
SCA using horses.  Duke Dag of the Middle tells about the
coronation of, I think, David and Tangwystyl.  One rode in on
a horse looking magnificent.  There was a stunned pause, and then
the crowd went wild with cheering, applause, and hoots.

The horse went wild, too.  At one point, Dag (doing duty at the
edge of the crowd) was seeing that he was about to be stepped on
by a rearing horse, and was convinced he was about to die.

After another incident with a horse, the Middle pretty much decided
not to use horses in attempting spiffy displays.

I strongly suggest that people be very careful about noises
around livestock at events, unless you're very sure about the
situation (i.e., you *know* that it's a trained police horse).
In general, I would not applaud.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.