ANST - Scrolls in Other Kingdoms [Long]

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Tue Jan 13 08:04:39 PST 1998

Sorry, this got kinda long, so if you're not interested you might just want
to hit the delete button!

At 10:19 PM 1/12/98 +0000, Thyra wrote:

>I'd like to know more about how they do it in other kingdoms.  I've
>grown up in Ansteorra with pre-printed charters, and I have a hard
>time envisioning how it could be possible to give out only original
>scrolls, particularly with the quantities of scrolls we give out.  It
>seems to run 30 scrolls a week or so during tourney season (it's
>considerably less in the winter months), and that's not counting
>peerages, baronial orders, and local cookies, prizes, and titles.

Well, I can speak for how the East Kingdom did things six years ago.  The
East Kingdom Tyger Clerk (Sable Scroll equivalent) had a college of scribes
to call upon that numbered over 100 active scribes.  While I understand
that we were somewhat unusual in this, we tried to give the Tyger Clerk at
least 1-2 months lead time on every award we gave (including AoA's, etc.),
but especially the peerage elevations.  We would send him a small paragraph
on each person, with their name as given to us in the recommendation
letter, specific reasons they were receiving the award (that's why we
always wanted the recommendation letters to get specific), contact
information for the seneschal or baron(ess) of the person's group (in case
the scribe wanted more info), and the event at which we planned to give the
award.  The Tyger Clerk then got on the phone and assigned the scrolls to
various scribes.  Of course, we ended up giving at least 1 award every
court for which we had not given lead time, but in that case the recipient
usually received a promissory in court and their "real" scroll at a later
date.  Quite often, the promissories were beautiful works of art themselves.

The scribe who received the scroll assignment then had carte blanche to
make up wording and/or art reflecting the deeds for which the person was
being recognized.  I understand that there were guidelines available if a
scribe was unsure what to say, but each scroll was a completely original
work by the scribe.  This had the effect of enhancing our courts
considerably because the populace (and us!) never knew what a scroll was
going to say until it had been completely read, and some of the scrolls
were *very* clever.  We gave out AoA scrolls that were as beautiful as the
scroll reflecting my Patent, Rose, and County, and peerage scrolls that
were elegantly simple miniatures which fit in Byzantine box frames, awards
that were early period, late period, in Japanese, old Norse Runes, carved
onto a horn, etched in glass, etc., etc., etc.  Some scribes who did only
calligraphy teamed up with others who did only illumination, and there were
a few groups who collaborated as workshops in creating scrolls to order.

We made a point of announcing the name of the scribe(s) who had created
each scroll as it was presented.  We then followed up each court with a
thank you note to every scribe who had donated their time creating a
scroll.  It took a bit of time, but we both felt that it was the least we
could do as payback for the privilege of being on the receiving end of
those deer-in-the-headlight-delight looks.  I think it's a shame that more
Crowns don't take the time to thank the artisans who produce scrolls --
scribes don't *have* to accommodate you, you know.

At any rate, Tyger Clerk worked very closely with the Crown and had to be a
very organized person.  He also had access to a very large group of
talented and enthusiastic people.  We gave an average of 40 awards each
week for all six months of our reign (you've never suffered until you've
suffered through an East Kingdom court). Each scribe was responsible for
getting the scroll to Tyger Clerk in time for him to get it to the Crown
for the appropriate court.  Quite often a scribe that lived in the group in
which the scroll would be presented was assigned the award and could work
on it right up to the date of the event if desired.  There were *very* few
occasions when we did not have a scroll to present in court.  At those
times, our herald read a "virtual scroll" off the top of his head -- that
could be a lot of fun too!

Well, this has gotten too long, but I hope it gives you an idea of how the
East Kingdom manages to give all "originals" when presenting award scrolls.

Margaret

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, then eat and drink as
friends."  W. Shakespeare