ANST - Event costs

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Jan 16 09:26:23 PST 1998

Kat said:
	...They were *really* upset by the $10.00 site fee for our
> 3-day event, not realizing that our cost was @$8.00 per person (we
> got a discount from the site that weekend).
Fine. The costs are not excessive for your case.

> > If this yields a site fee of $6.25 and you charge $7.00, I
> understand.
> > But when you charge $10, then you are consciously stiffing us for
> $3.75
> > each to line your group's coffers.....We're not looking for a
> profit;
> > we're looking to break even.
>
> This "we don't want a profit" mentality is one of the most common
> misconceptions of organizations labeled "not-for-profit."  The truth
> is, if we only "broke even" on our events we wouldn't be able to put
> on the next one....
I didn't say I wanted no profit. What I meant to imply was that we are
not here to build a bank account by leaps and bounds.  I understand that
the gradual increase in the funds for a branch lead to a gradual
increase in capacity for the non-event expenses, as well as opening new
doors for event sites and activities.  I further understand that you
should have the money in the bank before you spend it, i.e. don't count
on gate to pay for the event.

My argument is with those individuals out there who feel a solid profit
on the books at the end of the year is the goal of the gate fees.  I can
understand a group who started the year with, say, $1000 in the bank
ending up with $1300 at the end of the year.  That would mean that after
all their events, demos, step down/up gifts, new pavilions, etc., they
made about a dollar off every person that came to their event.  But if
that same group were to end up with $2500, either they had a fantastic
turnout for their events (certainly possible), or they overcharged.  I
don't like being overcharged.  I can't think of anyone that does.

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com