ANST - Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Fri Jan 16 11:35:40 PST 1998

mirrim at texas.net wrote:

> Maybe it's just that your event is growing and becoming more popular.

If such is the case, then this past 12th Night was too much an
illustration of the fact that it is possible for an event to choke to
death on its own popularity.

Plans and activities by and for Steppes folk were summarily shelved
because of kingdom business.  Local folk, for whom Steppes 12th
Night should be their opportunity to display and share their talents
in numerous fields, are crowded out or pushed aside in favor of
"more experienced" notables.  It is very much like being made to
feel unwelcome in one's own house.  And when it happens year and
year, it is quite enough to set one to thinking about making other
plans for that particular weekend.

> If you want the Kingdom to help "pay the freight", how are you going
> to split the profit with them.

By the most direct of methods: percentage.  If the Kingdom covers
half the cost, it receives half the profit.  If it covers a
quarter of the costs, it receives a quarter of the percentage.

> Bryn Gwlad routinely spends $1200 for our Candlemas site.  We are
> honored to have the Crown choose us for Kingdom activities in
> conjuction with our event.

I am reminded that there is such as thing as being too well honored.

--
Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin \ The Copper Bard
email: lmartin at airmail.net
http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin