ANST - Event costs (was: Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night)

Lord Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Fri Jan 16 10:45:45 PST 1998

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:19:46 -0600, John Ruble <jruble at urocor.com> wrote:

>I agree, and we (Namron) did it once.  I've been pushing for it again.
>After being RIPPED OFF for site fees at events where the cost to the
>barony putting it on was several dollars less that what was charged at
>the gate, we decided to undercut their prices and do one for free. It
>was a success.

Congratulations!

>Do those capital letters sound strong?  I sure hope so.  I think it is
>so opposite the aims of our Society when we fleece our neighbors at the
>gate. You have certain expenses, such as site fee, feast (if not charged
>separately), porta-potty rental, and miscellaneous small charges.  You
>add this up, and divide by the max and min number of people that ever
>turned up for this event. Voila! Two site fees!  Split the difference,
>biased one way or the other depending on the expected weather and
>competing events.

Nice formula for arriving at extimated expenses.

>If this yields a site fee of $6.25 and you charge $7.00, I understand.
>But when you charge $10, then you are consciously stiffing us for $3.75
>each to line your group's coffers. THAT is unchivalrous.

What's unchivalrous about it? You think that all the work/labor that the
people of the shire/barony put into the event isn't worth a thing?  I
challenge you to find any campground in the USA where you can spend the
weekend and get fed for $15-$20.  You'll be lucky to get a parking place
for one night at that price.  RIPPED OFF?  Bullhocky!!!

>I know that only the autocrat, treasurer, and seneschal know _all_ the
>expenses for a particular event, but if your group is hosting an event
>and the site fee looks high to you, ASK them about it.  We're not
>looking for a profit; we're looking to break even.

Who's not looking for a profit? It would be kind of nice to be able to
have a shire pavilion, a decent set of heraldic references, etc...    You
can't do that by breaking even.

[Damn, where did that soapbox come from]