ANST - Event costs

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 16 10:20:41 PST 1998

Hi all, Aquilanne here.

Ulf Gunnarssonwrote:
>If this yields a site fee of $6.25 and you charge $7.00, I understand.
>But when you charge $10, then you are consciously stiffing us for $3.75
>each to line your group's coffers. THAT is unchivalrous.
<snip>
 >We're not looking for a profit; we're looking to break even.

Money-making in the SCA seems to be touchy issue for a lot of people. Not
for me. I'm not even going to go into the whole definition of "non-profit"
and "not-for-profit,"  neither of which means that  groups that fall under
these categories cannot make a profit. What I want to talk about is why
groups need to make money and have money in their coffers.

Events pretty much have to be planned to make money. This is because
sometimes events lose money. Ulf, you complain about a group charging $10
for an event that ends up costing $6.25 per person, and say that  "you are
consciously stiffing us for $3.75 each to line your group's coffers." Were
you aware that good sized events can lose as much as $1000 in one whack?
This can happen due to unexpected bad weather or unexpected expenses or due
to simple poor planning and management. If we get a snow storm the day
before Candlemas and the event dies, we'll easily lose well over $1000.
Events have to be planned to make money because sometimes events lose
money.  Did you know that many if not most sites have to be paid for in
advance? There has to be money in the coffers to front the bills. Also, you
ever look around a hall and see big, beautiful banners decorating the hall,
maybe bowers and wreaths at Yule-type events or ribbons festooning doorways
at spring events or all the tables covered with color-coordinated cloths?
They cost money. Ever been in the kitchen where feasts are being prepared
and see the pots and pans and serving spoons and platters? These cost
money. Baronial coronets and other Baronial regalia that belong to the
Barony cost money. Baronial thrones cost money. Baronial and shire
pavilions cost *lots* of money. Storage units cost money. Site tokens cost
money. Award tokens cost money. The list goes on and on and on. Money made
from events go to cover more than just the cost of that event.

Also, while we're at it, when's the last time you went to the movies or out
to dinner? Movies cost around $7 per person to get in during prime time,
and I don't even want to *think* about how much they charge for popcorn and
coke. As for dinner, unless you're going out to McDonalds, you're going to
pay close to $10 per person for a decent meal with a beverage, and *maybe*
dessert. At an SCA event like Steppes 12th Night, site *and* feast was $10
in advance, $12 at the door. This was for a *12 hour event* PLUS food!
Where else in the mundane world are you going to get this kind of bargain?
At Candlemas coming up here in Bryn Gwlad, the site fee is $7. The site
opens at 10:00am and closes at 11:00 or 12:00pm, with all 13 to 14 hours
filled with socializing, performing arts, classes, meetings, and
whathaveyou. That same $7 will only get you an hour and a half at the
movies. The feast fee is $6. The feast is a 6 course meal *with*
entertainment. Just try to tell me which Denny's you can get that at.

So before we start flying off the handle about how "unchivalrous" it is for
a group to ask for an extra $3.75 (or whatever) per person, let's sit back
and scrape up a little perspective. Sorry, Ulf, don't mean to single you
out to pick on; I've occassionally heard other folk express thoughts like
those you expressed and it's usually just because they weren't fully aware
of all the monetary concerns that a group deals with--outside of putting on
an event--on a day to day basis. It's more than many folk realize.

Aquilanne

Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytyvylus & warrior crone
amazing at mail.utexas.edu