ANST - Event costs (was: Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night)

Scott Powers spowers at telepath.com
Fri Jan 16 10:14:54 PST 1998

>I agree, and we (Namron) did it once.  I've been pushing for it again.
>After being RIPPED OFF for site fees at events where the cost to the
>barony putting it on was several dollars less that what was charged at
>the gate, we decided to undercut their prices and do one for free. It
>was a success.

We in the Reeve's offices have a responsibility to make sure that our group
has enough operating expenses to put on not only the next event, but all
obligations that will come up.  Kat mentioned that it costs around $1000 to
front an event.  There are a few that cost in excess of $2000 or more.  Now
what happens if you get two or three in close proximity.  Then you have to
have enough in your account to cover all of them.  Otherwise you get into a
juggeling act and hope that you get receipts back from one item before you
have to pay for the next.  It can ususally be done, be it will make you
prematurely grey.

Then there is the matter of growth.  Lets say we spend $500 a year on a
meeting hall to hold meetings.  As we get more people, we need a bigger
room.  So the cost goes up to $800 a year or $1000.  If we only planned on
breaking even, then SOMEONE will have to come up with that extra money.  In
many cases, the hat is passed and a few individuals give a lot of money out
of their own pockets to benefit the group at large.  Is that fair?  I don't
think so.  The cost of operating a group should be spread around to all
those who benefit from it.

Last year, we were unexpectedly given the burden of sponsering another
group that had some financial difficulties.  Suddenly we had someone else's
event to front the money for.

How about the rare special event?  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to
sponser a 35th Anniversary event or something like that.  Someone is going
to.  And that group who does so is going to have plenty of money in their
account before they make their bid.

Could we do any of these things without extra money.  Of course not.  The
point is, it takes a lot of money to run the SCA.  And you HAVE to plan for
the unexpected.

In my view, the best policy would be a pattern of slow growth.  Each year,
after all your operating expenses are paid, you have a few hundred dollars
more.  Over many years, it adds up to several thousand dollars, which can
then be used in ways that are impossible for groups without that level of
resources.

H.L. Rumil Fletcher
a.k.a. Scott Powers
Treasurer - Wiesenfeuer