ANST - Event costs (was: Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night)

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Jan 16 07:19:46 PST 1998

Daniel wrote:
<yada-yada-yada>
> A tangent: my SCA pet peeve #67 is that SCA group
> hospitality isn't, guests aren't.  When was the last time
> you charged a mandatory fee to guests in your home?  Such
> people aren't guests, they're paying customers -- and then
> they're often asked to pitch in and help for free.  I'm
> strongly in favor of SCA donation events.
<yada-yada-yada>

I agree, and we (Namron) did it once.  I've been pushing for it again.
After being RIPPED OFF for site fees at events where the cost to the
barony putting it on was several dollars less that what was charged at
the gate, we decided to undercut their prices and do one for free. It
was a success.

Do those capital letters sound strong?  I sure hope so.  I think it is
so opposite the aims of our Society when we fleece our neighbors at the
gate. You have certain expenses, such as site fee, feast (if not charged
separately), porta-potty rental, and miscellaneous small charges.  You
add this up, and divide by the max and min number of people that ever
turned up for this event. Voila! Two site fees!  Split the difference,
biased one way or the other depending on the expected weather and
competing events.

If this yields a site fee of $6.25 and you charge $7.00, I understand.
But when you charge $10, then you are consciously stiffing us for $3.75
each to line your group's coffers. THAT is unchivalrous.

I know that only the autocrat, treasurer, and seneschal know _all_ the
expenses for a particular event, but if your group is hosting an event
and the site fee looks high to you, ASK them about it.  We're not
looking for a profit; we're looking to break even.

grrruuUUUFFF!

Ulf Gunnarsson
*---These are my opinions only, and not the opinions of my employers,
*---spouse, or family doctor.  So there.  Contents may settle during
*---shipping.  Send spelling complaints to ulf at urocor.com