ANST - Points of Honor?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 20 07:26:00 PST 1998

> > A "point of honor" is when one fighter gains an advantage over his
> > opponent, then discards it. For example, if he takes his opponent's arm,
> > then throws away his own shield. In some areas, the herald or marshal will
> > specifically announce these actions. They're also known as "acts of chivalry".
> >
> > The debate is over whether or not they *should* be announced.
> >
> >         -Tivar Moondragon

My opinion, no. A point of honor should be for those who are fighting and any who
happen to be watching.  A good deed should be its own reward. If any who are
watching approve then the deed has an added advantage but for a deed of chivalry
or honor to be heralded seems to lessen the true purpose of the act.

If I should drop to my knees or throw my shield then the people who are interested
in the fight will see this, announcing my act to those who are not watching has
no purpose. If the spectators of a match approve the act and applaud, terrific, but
they should not be "prompted" by a herald.

> Hmm. I think the debate is still over whether they should be done at all.
>
> If I am fighting you, Don Tivar, on the field and I, a rather inexperienced
> fighter, take your arm should I then throw away my dagger? I would think that
> that action might be considered a rash, stupid and perhaps an insulting
> thing to do rather than a point of honor. I am in effect saying that I
> don't need the dagger to best you and so I'll just even things up a bit.
>
> Stefan li Rous

I agree with the later posting by the good Don in that I would take it as an
example of honor. I will usually request my opponent not give up the advantage
as I feel they have earned it and I enjoy the challenge. But I'm weird. In this
situation I would ask you to keep the dagger as you have earned the right, if you
refused I would salute your courtesy and try to best you.

Yers,

Gunthar