ANST - Red Tape

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:16:36 PST 1998

---James Crouchet <jtc at io.com> wrote:

and I'll intersperse my commentary and extended suggestions.

> Let me see if I can sum up the ideas for this event:
> - Meetings, Circles

    ,Classes

> - Training sessions for? Officers? Marshals?

Varies according to need and perceptions. Encourage cross-training
and joint sessions. Offer alternate-track classes on general topics
such as demo presentation skills, public relations management,
avoiding personal (and group) burn-out, goal-setting, goal-directed
brainstorming training, free-for-all brainstorm sessions, etc.

> - Have food available buffet style from 10:00am to 2:00pm. Break
for
>   dinner.

I'll echo that the four-hour buffet block is Not A Good Idea.

My alternative suggestion: "Continental" Breakfast spread 8-10,
lunch (if open buffet) 11-1, with special arrangements possible for
breakfast and lunch break-out groups (for example, Landeds & Crown
breakfast work session, GOofS & Crown meeting over lunch,
community-as-a-whole gathers for supper).

> - Food can be simple/mundane. Pizza? Sandwich/veggie layout? Maybe
> nicer food or food out for dinner.

TBD. Catered / buffet group meals as plenary sessions can be made to
work as part of the whole package with a little forethought and
planning.

> - Strict schedule published ahead of time.

Some flexibility *must* be included, but the schedule can't be
allowed to be hijacked by any given circle, meeting, or even "whim
of the Crown". Business can't be conducted intelligently on the
basis of whims. (Emergencies, when truly so, are a different issue!)

> - Hold meeting at mid-reign. [Also suggested, use Coronation in
>   similar way but not as informal.] Another toward end of reign?

"Separate" business meeting from circle meeting on some variation of
this basis?

E.G.: Emphasize business & training issues mid-reign, Circle
concerns end-reign / Coronation / Crown Tourney.

> - For circles, issues first, candidates as time permits.

I suspect that the recently seen idea of a combined-peers circle
might fit well into this structure as well.

> - Indoor site. Motel/crash space nearby.

With the possible exception of meeting rooms associated with a
school of some type or perhaps a religious institution, the notation
made by others about free / reduced rate conference rooms available
with minimum-reserved blocks of sleeping rooms should be kept in mind.

Establish minimumm criteria for site requirements early in planning,
adjust to match needs. I'll wager that the business meeting

> - Centrally located -- Dallas area most often?

Phrase that as "Central Region" to be more inclusive, and understand
that yes, it still boils down to DFW/Waco as being most reasonable
and most inclusive compromise not relying on (strict) rotation. (And
most likely to have *all* of the facilities mentioned thus far at
competitive rates with minimal seasonal fluctuations.)

Encourage carpooling & investigate group travel rates for the more
distant areas of the kingdom. Maybe even consider some charter buses
or vanpools to maximize participation?

> Did I leave out any major points?

 Don Doré, if you did I'm certain *someone* in this august
assemblage will manage to ferret them out. I don't believe I added
anything all that major...

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com