ANST - Guilds

Wed Jan 21 14:24:14 PST 1998

>I am looking for a listing of ranks within a guild i.e. novice, journeyman,
>master etc. Does anyone know their specific order or where I could find
>them. (without too much effort)
>
>Rufus Guthrie

In general they are apprentice, journeyman, and master.  A specific
guild might have intermediate rankings or different names.

An apprentice contracted with a master to learn a specific trade.  The
apprentice normally received room, board and instruction in return for
his service for at set period of years.  At the end of this service and
by a display of his skills, an apprentice could become a journeyman.

A journeyman was (usually) an itinerant worker.  As a member of a guild,
he could avail himself of the services of a guild local to find food,
lodging and employment.  A journeyman was expected to master his craft
as widely a possible under as many masters as possible.   This insured a
high level of skill and reduced competition.

A journeyman would usually become a master by inheriting a master's
business through relationship, marriage or service or by accumulating
enough wealth or patronage to assure a place in a local guild.

Bear