ANST - Qualities of a Peer

Deborah and Robert Wade dwade at ballistic.com
Fri Jan 23 21:08:00 PST 1998

At 08:02 AM 1/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Alastair of Wyvernwood, Trimaris asked:
>>Is there any ONE achievement that would say classify as applicable to
>>specific recognition by ALL THREE PEERAGES as inherent to each as well
>>as to the others for recognition for possible advancement to same? For
>>example:  What could I do in armor on the field that would say-
>>contribute to BOTH the recognized aspects of the Arts/Sciences peerages
>>as well as the Pelicanate.
>
>....Every Peer is assumed to have certain basic qualities, whether they be a
>Knight, a Pelican, or a Laurel.
>
>The old test used to be that a Peer should be able to: play a game of chess
>(or a similar type of game to allow for persona differences), dance at
>least one type of dance, entertain a group (whether by song, story, etc.),
>know the basics of heraldry, in other words, the Noble and Gentle Pursuits.
> A Peer should also be versed in the areas of achievement other than in
>their own Peerage, hence a Knight should practice an art or two (or perhaps
>serve as a patron of the arts) and perform some service, a Pelican should
>know the basics of fighting (not necessarily fight themselves, but be
>conversant with the art) and should practice or patron the arts, while a
>Laurel should perform some service and know the basics of fighting.
>
>....Are these things really considered today when making a Peer?  I have
yet to
>hear my Circle discuss whether or not a candidate can practice the Gentle
>Arts.  This may be an old SCA custom that is slipping by the wayside, which
>we should look at carefully in order to determine if it is valuable to us
>now, and if so whether we might not ought to revive it before it slips
>completely into the mists of The Old Days....

This "list" is not a "custom" but a paraphrase from the Corpora.  Old it
may be, but it's one of the documents we're telling the government we go
by.  That same document requires the Crown, Peers and Officers to enforce
it at all times -- including the appropriate Circle.  (Personally, I feel
"it is valuable to us now."  Those who think otherwise should write a
letter to the Board of Directors -- only they can change the rules.)

Quoting from the 4/84 edition (Sorry my edition is so "old."  Would someone
who has the current edition please update this?  Thanks in advance -- Tostig):
"VII. INDIVIDUAL ORDERS AND TITLES
"A. ORDERS
"1. Orders Conferring a Patent of Arms ...
"a. General Requirements for Orders Conferring a Patent of Arms: Candidates
for any Order conferring a Patent of Arms must meet the following minimum
criteria.  Additional requirements may be established by Law and Custom of
the Kingdoms as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Crown.
"i.  They shall have been obedient to the Corpora and By-Laws of the
Society and the Laws of the Kingdom.
"ii.  They shall have consistently shown respect for the Crown of the Kingdom.
"iii.  They shall have set an example of courteous and noble behavior
suitable to a Peer of the Realm.
"iv.  They shall have demonstrated support for the aims and ideals of the
Society by being as authentic in dress, equipment and behavior as is within
their power.
"v.  They shall have shown willingness to share their knowledge and impart
unto others their skills.
"vi.  They shall have practiced hospitality according to their means and as
appropriate to the circumstances.
"vii.  They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those skills
desirable at and worthy of a civilized court.  To this end they should have
become acquainted with fields of period study including but not limited to
literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have some
familiarity with fighting as practiced in the Society.
"viii.  They should have attained at least to the standard of
accomplishment achieved by existing Peers of the Order for which they are
candidates in the areas for which they are being considered, as determined
by the members of the Order."

For example, milord Alastair, on the field you would want to salute the
Crown and heed their Officers and the Rules of the List, to demonstrate
authentic dress, equipment and courteous/noble (= chivalric) behavior
(saluting both "the one who's favor you bear" and your "honorable and
worthy opponent" are common samples of behavior), and to display a knowldge
of heraldry (painting your device on your shield is the most common sample
of behavior).

There is no one thing to do.  We all aspire to doing everything we can as
often as we can do it.

Tostig Logiosophia