ANST - Qualities of a Peer

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Fri Jan 23 21:13:53 PST 1998

At 09:08 PM 1/23/98, Tostig wrote:

>At 08:02 AM 1/22/98 -0600, someone wrote:
>>....Are these things really considered today when making a Peer?  I have
>yet to
>>hear my Circle discuss whether or not a candidate can practice the Gentle
>>Arts.  This may be an old SCA custom that is slipping by the wayside, which
>>we should look at carefully in order to determine if it is valuable to us
>>now, and if so whether we might not ought to revive it before it slips
>>completely into the mists of The Old Days....

>This "list" is not a "custom" but a paraphrase from the Corpora.  Old it
>may be, but it's one of the documents we're telling the government we go
>by.  That same document requires the Crown, Peers and Officers to enforce
>it at all times -- including the appropriate Circle.  (Personally, I feel
>"it is valuable to us now."  Those who think otherwise should write a
>letter to the Board of Directors -- only they can change the rules.)

>Quoting from the 4/84 edition (Sorry my edition is so "old."  Would someone
>who has the current edition please update this?  Thanks in advance --
Tostig):

I went to http://www.sca.org and looked under Official Documents. It says:

A. PATENTS OF ARMS

1. General Requirements: Candidates for any order conferring a Patent of
Arms must meet the following minimum criteria. Additional requirements may
be set by law and custom of the kingdoms as deemed appropriate and
necessary by the Crown.

a. They shall have been obedient to the governing documents of the Society
and the laws of the kingdom.

b. They shall have consistently shown respect for the Crown of the kingdom.

c. They shall have set an example of courteous and noble behavior suitable
to a peer of the realm.

d. They shall have demonstrated support for the aims and ideals of the
Society by being as authentic in dress, equipment and behavior as is within
their power.

e. They shall have shared their knowledge and skills with others.

f. They shall have practiced hospitality according to their means and as
appropriate to the circumstances.

g. They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those skills
desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they should have
some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including but not limited
to literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have
some familiarity with combat as practiced in the Society. They should also
participate in Society recreations of several aspects of the culture of the
Middle Ages and Renaissance.

	-Tivar Moondragon