ANST - Re: Cloved Fruit -- what infamous tradition?

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Tue Jan 27 01:55:47 PST 1998

On 26 Jan 98, knotwork at juno.com wrote:

> Some folks, however, play by different rules, and this is where it
> gets, well, sticky.  By these rules, the recipient removes a clove
> with the lips or teeth, and it is returned to the giver during the
> kiss.  Imagine the horror of  having someone you are not that crazy
> about "searching" for a clove you have already discarded!  I believe
> it is those surprise "lip locks" and "fishing expeditions" that have
> given this once-harmless pastime a bad name.  Not only that, but one
> participant with a cold or the flu can infect an entire room full of
> people in no time flat!

The worst of it is that some socially inept ogre will undoubtedly get
ahold of the thing at some point. This hapless soul is the sort that
most desperately wants that kiss but has no clue how to approach it
with style, nor will he/she clue in to the fact that the object of
their ardor finds them repulsive.

Let's face it, if all SCAers were attractive, graceful people the
kissing game would be a "must do" at every revel.

M. Dore