ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Jan 12 16:20:49 PST 1998

Galen here!

Vicki Marsh wrote:

> Zara Zina again,
>
> Ulf Gunnarsson said:
>
> > Such an event would undoubtedly end up like any other event.
> <snip>
>
> >  When (or if) the meetings are over, many people will want to socialize.
> >
> <snip>
>   Some of these are time critical, and some lose their
> > impact if not delivered from Authority immediately.
> > <snip>
> > In short, the Red-Tape event would turn into just another event, with
> > two lists, an A&S, a bardic, and a feast.

Ulf, I went to a Board of Directors meeting once.  It included feasting and
dancing, revelry, and a tourney the next day.  A _lot_ of stuff got done.

But the difference between the expanded event you described and the
12th Night we just experienced is that great ideas for local events
wouldn't get tromped on by peerage circles, as so often seems to happen,
especially in places like Steppes, Elfsea, Bryn Gwlad, and Stargate.
The great ideas wouldn't get tacked onto a Red Tape event.

> Yes, I thought about that.  However, if the Kingdom activites take over a local event, why not just make it a Kingdom event?  Like a Kingdom 12th night?  Or a
>  If the Hall for 12th night could have been opened earlier and the meetings and Gulf War A & S started earlier (with the Kingdom footing a share of the extra t
> There are times that Kingdom business must be handled immediately at an event and I recognize that.  The sooner a problem can be addressed the better.
> However. there are some events that have turned into three-ring circus' on a regular basis.  I just feel that it takes away from the pagentry and beauty of eve

I do agree that you've come up with a valid idea, Zara Zina.  Don't tack
a bunch of stuff onto an elegantly simple idea.  We could send out for
pizza; and we wouldn't even _have_ to meet in costume (although I'd
prefer to do so).

And the three meetings I was in would almost _certainly_ have been
longer if there had been more time.  So stretching out the events we
have now would probably just lead to more time for meetings, not more
time for dancing.

A seperate meeting event would lead for more time for meetings,
and -- at Candlemas or somplace -- more time for dancing as well.
And frankly, my dancing skills are a whole lot more rusty than my
meeting skills.

> "Life is Good in Elfsea."

It surely is!

- Galen

--
pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"The Constitution is a radical document ... it is the job