ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Mon Jan 12 18:06:47 PST 1998

> Zara Zina again,

> Yes, I thought about that.  However, if the Kingdom activites take over a local event, why not just make it a Kingdom event?  Like a Kingdom 12th night?  Or a co-sponsored event?

> However. there are some events that have turned into three-ring circus' on a regular basis.  I just feel that it takes away from the pagentry and beauty of events that groups such as The Steppes have worked so hard to present for our enjoyment.

Your Excellency, thank you for this.

I am a member of the populace of the Steppes.  And while I am
pleased that Steppes events are of such caliber as to come readily
to royal mind for the type of business here being discussed, I am,
in all honesty, saddened when those events are so thoroughly
appropriated as to be mistaken for Kingdom-level proceedings.
And such has been the case with our two major events, Steppes
Twelfth Nite and Steppes Warlord, for as long as I have been
involved in the SCA.

Saddest to me is how often and to what degree these events are filled
with Kingdom business that leaves no time and opportunity for matters
of the group whose event it is.  Even to the point of paying respects,
or so little a thing as giving acknowledgement during the event
itself, to those whose labors have made it possible.

It is sometimes enough to cause me to wish our events were just a
touch less worthy of the "honor".

--
Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin / The Copper Bard
email: lmartin at airmail.net
http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin