ANST - Too many meetings, too little fun

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Mon Jan 12 12:39:54 PST 1998

This can work:

An Tir has semi-annual Crown Councils, one for each reign, wherein
the peerages meet, the officers meet as a Curia and then with their
local subordinates, etc.  the main advantage here is that you can
have meetings that run across those usual lines:  the regalia
committee (if you have one); all the martial people (chivalry,
fighters at large, archers , fencers) to talk about wars or whatever;
and so on.

Last year, the Outlands held its first "StagsCon", which was a
smaller version of what I just described; the peerages did not meet,
it was entirely aimed at training and cross-training officers (e.g.,
the seneschals and exchequers met about financial policies).
We're having one againt his year.

It can be a good thing.

Berengaria

> >  From: "Vicki Marsh" <zarazina at flash.net>, on 1/12/98 12:09 PM:
> >  Greetings, Ansteorra,
> >
> >  After attending Steppes 12th Night and watching many of my
> >  friends have to attend meeting after meeting, and not get to
> >  dance or visit with friends, or to even be able to finish their
> >  meals, I wish to put forth a radical idea.  What about having a
> >  Kingdom Event that is held specifically for meetings?
> >
> >  I have heard of other Kingdoms, such as Atlantia, that have an
> >  "Un-event" or a "Red-Tape " Event to deal with the business of
> >  runnning a Kingdom and the holding of many circles and meetings.
> >  I have even seen a "Red-Tape" edition of the kingdom's newsletter
> >  that lists changes to Kingdom Law, Heraldic Submission changes,
> >  etc.
> >
> >  Because of the geographical location, many events in my own fair
> >  Barony of Elfsea have been affected by the Kingdom's needs for
> >  meetings, just as Steppes 12th Night was.  While it is good for
> >  the gate count, sometimes I think it is incongrous with what we
> >  in the SCA are trying to achieve.  I do not think that the sight
> >  and sound of peers and the nobility shouting at each other and
> >  the Royal Family is conducive to the concepts of chivalry and
> >  honor that we promote.  How does this look through the eyes of a
> >  new person? How long before those that are willing to work for
> >  the Kingdom get burned out and stop attending events because they
> >  can't have fun anymore?  When every event becomes a time for
> >  confrontation and emotional distress?  We need to find a way to
> >  balance business with pleasure, and to keep our ideals ever
> >  before us.
> >
> >  Thinking outside the box,
> >
> >  Baroness Zara Zina Theanos
> >
> >  "Go Byzantine."
> >  "Keep your kids off artificial colors."
> >  "Life is Good in Elfsea."
> >
> >  zarazina at flash.net

> I think this is a FABULOUS idea.
>
> I've seen many people (including myself) get burned out from time to
> time due to politics and/or administrative overload and end up
> swamped when going to events.
>
> When events continuously become a chore/headache, its time to
> take a step back. (see above sentence)
>
> Scheduling a Kingdom Business Meeting or Regional Business Meeting
> periodically would alleviate some of the workload at regular events.
>
> Lets let them have fun too.
>

> Here's an idea for the rest of the populace:
>
> --- Take care of stuff at local business meetings, over the phone,
> or
>     via e-mail, instead of at events.
>

> In service to The Dream (and having fun at events),
>
> ~Johan

Countess Berengaria de Montfort de Carcassonne, OP
Barony of Caerthe
Kingdom of the Outlands