ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts

Phillip Stallcup STALPL at integris-health.com
Wed Jan 14 20:14:50 PST 1998

<SNIP>

> I dont mean to harp on anyones idea. But the persons receiving AOA's
have
> just as much right to be thanked and celebrated for their efforts as
> "important" awards. Remember , for quite a few people, This is the
biggest
> thing in their SCA life to date. It might be their *only* award
ever.

> I had a very good view of Steppes court, and I enjoyed it immensly.
Watching
> a gentle break into tears when thanked for the work they had done,
in such a
> public fashion, makes you feel good. It puts some magic into this
game of ours.

> Timo

First, someone asked what AOA and GOA stands for.

AOA - Award of Arms - Endows the person to be called Lord or Lady,
usually the first, or always the first I'm not sure, award that a
person receives.

GOA - Grant of Arms - I believe it gives the person the right to bear
the Kingdom arms as a part of their device, but I'm not sure and I'm
not sure what else it gives.

As for the awards at courts, I have to agree with Timo. I received my
AOA and induction into our Baronial Guard last year at our
championship tourney. As it worked out, I was actually inducted into
the Guard immediately before receiving my AOA. The award came, as it
should, unexpectedly, and as overwhelmed as I was by becoming a Guard,
it didn't compare to how I felt receiving my AOA. For other awards,
thistles etc., there are semi-specific things that a person has to do
to receive the award. The more important the award, the harder it is
to get, and I really have no idea what it takes to get a GOA. However,
as far as I know, the AOA is the only award that a person can get by
simply helping anywhere it's needed. Reducing the AOA and other awards
to smaller courts would seem to make the statement that the smaller
things don't matter. Let's face it, one or two small things not
getting done is life, but if enough small things don't get done, then
the big things can't get done. As for not giving them at courts at
all, think back to the 'most important' award that you have received,
and think how you would feel if it had just been handed to you instead
of being 'awarded' in a court.

OK, sorry, let me climb down off this box before I fall....

Llygoden Llwyd
 Barony of Wiesenfeuer
mka Phillip Stallcup
stalpl at integris-health.com