ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jan 14 19:58:27 PST 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Nan Bradford-Reid
<ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I got to thinking about this whole AoA and below, or GoA
> and above thingy after I posted my second message about it
> (in which I stated I wasn't sure I agreed with the idea),
> and, the more I think about it, the more I think it's a
> bad idea and agree with Timo.

Yeah, I think you're right.  Rewind.  Erase.

> Maybe Z-Z's idea of two or three smaller courts throughout
> an event is a better idea, if you didn't want to go to one
> or more, then don't, whereas court-junkies would OD
> <grin>.

As I noted, I see a problem if you have segregation ("oh,
it's only an AoA court").

As for making courts more interesting: one thing Atlantia
did at their recent 12th Night was mix up the order of
awards -- they weren't given in precedence order.  I know
it's been done elsewhere.  I think that would add more
uncertainty, and hence spice, over the ordinary Ansteorran
practice.

One problem with the implementation was that Atlantia has
more awards where the order comes up -- as if all the Stars
and Irises came up whenever one was given, like the peerages
do.  The problem is that several Golden Dolphins were given
at separate points, so my companion with the bad knees had
to walk half the width of the hall six times.  Any awards
where people are gathered should be given as a bunch.

There are a lot of people involved with peerages (esp. the
processions), so they probably would still have to be
scheduled in advance.

--
Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com