ANST - AOA/GOA etc courts

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Wed Jan 14 23:04:47 PST 1998

At 09:58 PM 1/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Nan Bradford-Reid
><ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> I got to thinking about this whole AoA and below, or GoA
>> and above thingy after I posted my second message about it
>> (in which I stated I wasn't sure I agreed with the idea),
>> and, the more I think about it, the more I think it's a
>> bad idea and agree with Timo.
>
>Yeah, I think you're right.  Rewind.  Erase.
>
>> Maybe Z-Z's idea of two or three smaller courts throughout
>> an event is a better idea, if you didn't want to go to one
>> or more, then don't, whereas court-junkies would OD
>> <grin>.
>
>As I noted, I see a problem if you have segregation ("oh,
>it's only an AoA court").
>
>As for making courts more interesting: one thing Atlantia
>did at their recent 12th Night was mix up the order of
>awards -- they weren't given in precedence order.  I know
>it's been done elsewhere.  I think that would add more
>uncertainty, and hence spice, over the ordinary Ansteorran
>practice.

I agree, changing up the order was one of the things that I like to do when
I herald Court.  It keeps the audience guessing and usually can allow you
to surprise a person with their award.  One thing that Master Korwin taught
me was that the court is the responsibility of the herald that includes
things like pacing and order.  One of the ways that I alter that pace of a
court is to vary the distance that I will allow a recipient to go before I
call up the next peace of business.  In a long court you can save as much
as 20 min. if you shorten the distance to the next piece of business.  Also
it is imperative that you coordinate the awards with the people giving the
regalia to the Crown.  They need to know what pieces of regalia are going
to be required before you start court.  Also take the time to look over the
list of awards before you actually start. Even if you delay court for 2 or
3 min. it will be better than a 5 min delay while you shuffle paper and
look confused.

><snip>
>
>--
>Daniel de Lincolia