ANST - Impermissible patent nudity

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:19:30 PST 1998

At 12:50 PM 1/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Daniel de Lincoln wrote:
>>One minor nit: "naked" Patents of Arms -- a patent being given
>>without an associated award of one of the five possible types --
>>is not permitted in the SCA.
>
>Hi Daniel. Question: in Ansteorra, does a County or Duchy confer a Patent
>of Arms? Someone told me it didn't here, and I was confused (normal state
>of mind for me, granted, but nonetheless...)

Hi Aquilanne!

In Ansteorra, a County or Duchy does not carry a Patent of Arms.  Whether
or not they should is left to Kingdom Law, and Ansteorra has not chosen to
link them.  I understand that in some Kingdoms, the Patent is automatic
with the rank.  In the East, the Patent-holding royal peers vote on whether
or not the retiring King/Queen performed their duties in such a manner that
merited the Patent.  I know of a couple of cases in which the Patent was
denied.

Margaret
Transplanted Easterner,
All Ansteorran Now!

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, then eat and drink as
friends."  W. Shakespeare