ANST - heraldry and names

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jan 15 21:20:55 PST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Dennis and/or Dory Grace
<amazing at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Daniel forgot to mention that you can use *one* of your
> mundane names (first, last, middle) as part of your SCA
> name without having to document it's use in period. So if
> your real first name is Rowan, you can use that pas your
> SCA first name.

I did forget it, but I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had
remembered it.

The problem is that, for a good answer, I should write
articles on

- what is historical documentation?
- what is documentation for a name?
- what is SCA name registration?
- what is the difference between historical accuracy and SCA
  registration?  Which should you go for?
- what is the importance of selecting an SCA first name?

and that's a *lot* of writing, and I still need to hook up
my first VCR.  I hope to do it, but I make no promises.
Rowan, if you want to call me, I'd be glad to
talk your ear off^U
discuss it with you at whatever length you like.  I'm at 512
795 7668; if you like, I'll call you back immediately so
it's on my nickel.  (I probably have more spare nickels than
you at the moment.)  There are, as Aquilanne noted, any
number of other chatty and knowledgable heralds out there; I
can probably find you a contact closer to you (Tulsa, was
it?).

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.