ANST - Name changes

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Jan 15 21:53:45 PST 1998

>>> RCPT To:<ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
<<< 551 we do not relay

As 'wolf wrote, "culture and times change".  In England,
there were several periods when the name stock changed
radically.  After the Conquest, most of the Old English
names (the Agilwulf, Aetherlstan, etc. types of names --
Germanic-based protheme + deuterotheme types) went out of
use except for certain Wessex royal names and saints' names
(e.g., Edward, Edmund).  A lot of Norman names gots popular
among the populace.  There was a great burst of creativity
in naming in the 12th Century, but the name stock shrank
back afterwards.  Old Testament names started coming into
style among Christians with the Renaissance (the Jews had
been using some for millenia).  The Puritans had a brief
flurry of Flee-Sin, Through-Tribulation-We-Come-To-The-Lord
(called "Tribby" by her friends), and such.

20th Century America is highly unusual in inventing and
borrowing names, compared to our period.

As well, name frequency patterns have changed.  In England
1600-1800, the top three female names accounted for half the
female population (Mary, Elizabeth, Anne).  For several
centuries, 15-30% of all the men in England were named John;
William + John + Thomas accounted for over half the men in
England 1550-1800 (and 63% in 1650-1700!).

Daniel de Lincolia, a 12th century Latin name form
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work account.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us ... is wrong tool.  Never use this.