ANST - Event costs (was: Meetings and Volume at Steppes 12th Night)

Fri Jan 16 10:56:14 PST 1998

>>I agree, and we (Namron) did it once.  I've been pushing for it again.
>>After being RIPPED OFF for site fees at events where the cost to the
>>barony putting it on was several dollars less that what was charged at
>>the gate, we decided to undercut their prices and do one for free. It
>>was a success.
>
>We in the Reeve's offices have a responsibility to make sure that our group
>has enough operating expenses to put on not only the next event, but all
>obligations that will come up.  Kat mentioned that it costs around $1000 to
>front an event.  There are a few that cost in excess of $2000 or more.  Now
>what happens if you get two or three in close proximity.  Then you have to
>have enough in your account to cover all of them.  Otherwise you get into a
>juggeling act and hope that you get receipts back from one item before you
>have to pay for the next.  It can ususally be done, be it will make you
>prematurely grey.

<deleted>

>H.L. Rumil Fletcher
>a.k.a. Scott Powers
>Treasurer - Wiesenfeuer

A key point is that Namron has a very solid treasury and a track record
for events which do not lose money.  We did a free Beltane because we
had an obscenely profitable Protectorate the preceding year and minimal
expenses in between.  While it is nice to do free events, you normally
need three to five profitable events to make up the loss.  An
unprofitable large event can set you back $300 to $600 in a heartbeat
and make even a solid treasury shaky.

Bear