ANST - War Dance! ... practice in odd places

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sat Jan 17 03:02:43 PST 1998

last night had a most excellent chance to practice some of the
old martial skills in a real-world practice exercise that i
recommend to all fighters looking for something different ...
find a high energy band (in this case, tyeh reformed "Bow Wow Wow"
... not bad for being gone from Austin for 15+ years) plus staying as
close to the stage as possible (aka: "mosh pit").

... always found this a interesting way  to put the aikido skills to
the test in a real world "ran-dori" ("chaos from all
directions") situation.

... also an excellent opportunity to practice the active, more
agressive "shield work" that i was taught long ago - visualize a
arm-strapped buckler (florentine shields anyone?)

... and for dealing with the more aggressive and out of control - try
 "short sword" mode - left arm "shield" , right are "short sword"
(open hand)

good to know that i can still hold my own against kids half my age
on "the field" ...  even gave them a handicap - rode the bike and
was wearing my heavy riding leathers and steel toed engineer boots
(thus carrying about 20+ extra pounds of "armour" that did'nt shed
heat well ... sweated them through making for a rather chilly ride
home)

'wolf

... sorta missing the old mowhawk crest today (grin), and remembering
why i origionally thought dance-armour was a great idea  (saw a fair
amount of mail there ... including two pieces of mail & plate that i
did in the past for some of the lovely gothling dancers that i know)

... in the words of Gibson "the street finds use's for things"

... In Mortis Veritas