ANST - previous threads ... keltoi / religion / holy-days

eric mauer eric.mauer-next at attws.com
Fri Jan 23 14:00:38 PST 1998

>>>modern Wiccans are generally structuring their practices and beliefs on a resurrected version of the historical Wicca.  It parallels (or may even be considered a subgroup of) the Celtic revival. <<<<

Hmm, does any know how to CLOSE a can of worms? <grin>

The historical vs. created debate (regarding Wicca, and modern paganism in general) has been hotly debated both within the craft and without. My opinion (based on a decade plus of research and practice) is that although there are no "unbroken" traditions, a few of the modern pagan traditions are pretty close to what we know of historical ones. Most, however, have little or nothing to do with historical practice. The current popularity of Wicca has attracted a large number of "practitioners" who are involved only for the shock value.

(In many ways, they are very similar to some born-again Christians, especially in their insistance on making others aware of their "faith" <grin>)

Alaric Styrr
called TuhTahl